Before venturing into the fascinating world of Social Media Marketing, you should first define your goals as precisely as possible. Statistics and dicovering tools such as Google Analytics, GoinUp, Woopra, Quantcast and Google Trends help you to understand your potential target audience. After collection all this valuable data, you have to select carefully the social marketing channels where you want to establish a presence for your business.
Social Media Marketing Actions: The Basics
– Create a business blog. The basic and essential action is to create a blog as hub of your social media marketing actions. The RSS (Really Simple Syndication) of the blog and will facilitate the viralization and republication of your content. Although is not always easy generate fresh content continually, is essential publish updated frequently for better search engine indexing. In case of shortage of material or ideas, you can appeal to industry or company news, video tutorials, press releases, videos, photos, press releases or other resources. It is important not to deviate of the main subject of our blog.
– Create rich media: Produce videos, podcasts and photos related to your business or industry area … Create channels on YouTube, Flickr, Instagram, iTunes and other audio and video networks where you can upload your multimedia content.
–Create detailed profiles on major social networks (Facebook, Pinterest, Google Plus, Linkedin, Twitter) Always put your main business URL in your profile. Enhance the profile as possible with photos, videos, detailed information about your business, featured post, feeds, news of interest, etc. Keep the personal touch in your social profiles.
– Not only personal profiles but business pages: You should create individual fan or business pages for brands or products in Facebook, Google Plus and Linkedin. You can also consider create a branded Youtube channel.
– Connect your social profiles. Usually, the social networks include internal applications that can import external content, so your social profiles can be synchronized to repurpose your content. Thereby, Flickr photos and Youtube videos can also appear on your Facebook page, Your Youtube channel can be synced to Twitter, Twitter updates can be automatically sent to Facebook and so on.
– Update profiles automatically. Through services such as Twitterfeed, HootSuite or IFTTT.com, all your social profiles can be updated simultaneously.
– Create and host your own wiki. A Wiki is a set of user-edited web pages. Set up a FAQ page with your customers questions.
– Send press releases to the media with your news. Create a newsroom on your website so that your notes may be republished and spread with ease. In this virtual press room you can also includes photos, videos, podcasts and all the multimedia material of your business.
– Go to specialized or vertical social networks too. There are literally hundreds of social networks covering all the imaginable topics and interests, so you should not limit yourself to general, mainstream social media.
– Optimize your web socially (SMO actions) by adding buttons, badges, plugins and widgets linked to your social media profiles (TweetMeme button, Facebook Social Plugins, etc …). If you use WordPress, you can install social media optimization plugins such as Add to any, Sociable or Sexy Bookmarks). Always be sure to place the RSS subscription button in a prominent spot of your site.
– Monitoring results. Google Alerts is a quick and effective way to start to watch references and discussions about your brand or business on the social web, as is to subscribe to RSS feeds related to your niche market. In addition, you can do manual searches in Twitter and Facebook, as well as use specialized meta search engines such as Topsy or SocialMention, among many other tools.